Newcastle’s failure to put points on the board is starting to get concerning. If as fans we’re not thinking about relegation, then we should be. In front of an anxious St. James’s Park crowd on Wednesday night we still couldn’t find what it takes to even get a draw let alone three points. This makes it one point from 24 now and while the takeover seems on track, we all know as Newcastle United fans to never get our hopes up.
Here are the player ratings by Lee Ryder of the Newcastle Chronicle.
- Karl Darlow: 4
- Deandre Yedlin: 6
- Jamaal Lascelles: 6
- Florian Lejune: 6
- Javier Manquillo: 6
- Matt Ritchie: 7
- Mikel Merino: 7
- Jonjo Shelvey: 2
- Christian Atsu: 6
- Mo Diame: 3
- Dwight Gayle: 5
- Joselu (on for Diame): 5
- Aarons (on for Ritchie): 6
- Ayoze Perez: N/A
I think Lee’s ratings are a little vanilla, especially for the back four since they all received a rating of 6. Shelvey’s rating is arguably a little harsh when you remember he didn’t really have anyone in front of him to hit. Really Rafa? Diame again?
- Karl Darlow: 3 – Dropping that clanger in front of Rooney. Let’s hope it’s a learning experience.
- Deandre Yedlin: 6 – Offered somewhat of a threat going forward.
- Jamaal Lascelles: 6 – Good to have the skipper back and the backline looked a little more solid.
- Florian Lejune: 5
- Javier Manquillo: 6
- Matt Ritchie: 6 – Huffed and puffed, although this performance has been better than what he’s shown lately.
- Mikel Merino: 7 – If only we had some quality to play alongside him.
- Jonjo Shelvey: 3 – The tackle to get him sent off was of his own making, but when you have Mo Diame in front of you, you can’t blame the lad for being frustrated.
- Christian Atsu: 6 – Willing runner, hopefully he’ll get back to pre-injury form soon.
- Mo Diame: 2 – Why Rafa keeps persisting with Diame is anyone’s guess? It’s not link his link up play is decent, he doesn’t create anything, and I’m pretty sure I’ve got a better goalscoring record at St. James’s Park than Diame.
- Dwight Gayle: 5 – I think the Premier League has found Dwight Gayle out.
- Joselu (on for Diame): 4 – Desperation sub. He was never going to change the game.
- Aarons (on for Ritchie): 6 – Needs more game time.