The Premier League season has ended, and for Newcastle United, the summer will be a crucial one in terms of bringing in new players. So, below is a list of transfer targets that have either been linked to a move to St. James’s Park, or transfers we reckon have at least some potential of happening.
If you know of any more, or think there are any more worth serious consideration, leave a comment and I’ll take a look. We’ll be updating this list throughout the summer.
- Mathieu Debuchy: A friend of Yohan Cabaye, Debuchy currently plays for Lille as a full-back. Debuchy knows Cabaye well, and the two are sure to have spoken about Newcastle. With Danny Simpson looking like he won’t sign the new contract on offer by the club, a new right-back is a must.
- Erik Pieters: Pieters, a Dutch international currently plying his trade at PSV Eindhoven has long been linked with a move to Newcastle. They were strong rumours last year that Newcastle were making a move for Pieters and it would be no surprise to see the Dutch left-back arrive at the Toon in the summer.
- Douglas: A Brazlian-born central defender currently playing for FC Twente. Newcastle have sent scouts to watch Douglas on a number of occasions, and since Pardew is looking for a central defender who can add in his fair share of goals from set-pieces, Douglas fits the mould perfectly.
- Roberto Rosales: The jury is still out on this one. Rosales is a right-back who plays for FC Twente and the 23 year old is a current Venezuelan international. The player’s agent has been speaking to the press and saying that both Newcastle and Porto are interested in his client. We’re not sure whether this is just an agent drumming up interest for his player, or if there’s genuine interest from the clubs mentioned. One to watch.
- Nathaniel Clyne: An England U-21 International, Clyne currently plays for Crystal Palace. The full-back is said to be highly rated by Alan Pardew. With Pardew’s good connections at Palace, this transfer seems like it might have some legs, and the player fits into the type of mould Newcastle are looking to sign.
- Mark Davies: Not sure what to make about this one. The Toon are rumoured to be bidding up to £3.5 million as we look to bolster our squad for Europa League participation. With Danny Guthrie almost certain to leave the club in the summer, Davies would be an adequate replacement, but would likely have to wait for either injury or suspension before getting into the first team ahead of Cabaye or Tiote.
- Yacine Brahimi: Of Algerian descent, Brahimi has been plying his trade for Rennes. Playing mostly on the right-wing, the young midfielder has been capped at all International levels for France, and turned down the chance to play for Algeria at the 2010 World Cup.
- Luuk De Jong: Newcastle United have long been linked with the Dutch forward, who plays primarily through the middle for FC Twente. Watch out for this transfer being pushed through if the Toon lose Demba Ba over the summer.
- Jay Rodriguez: Rodriguez, a current England U-21 international and playing for Burnley is currently valued at £8 million by his club. It’s unlikely Newcastle will pay that much money for an unproven player (at least at the top level), but we’ve been linked with the striker off and on over the past year or so.